What Anime are you watching now?
Main function of this thread – Discuss Chinese cartoons you’re currently watching!

(Ulterior motive – I need more varied video sources, so hopefully I’ll discover a few new titles through the discussions in this thread.)

Currently watching – School-Live! / Gakkou Gurashi!
Yes, I broke down and I’m slugging through it.

There’s Zombies in it. Yes. Not a lot, but that’s not a bad thing. Of course- A good zombie story never really focuses on the zombies, it’s the human beings and their coping with the fall of society and blah blah blah all that good rubbish that counts.
Unless you consider typical, middle-school girls doing cute things “good rubbish” however, there’s not a lot going on here to keep you interested. I tend to like Pink-haired characters in my toons, but Yuki really gets on my nerves here.

This is one of those shows I play in the background whilst I exercise. Wouldn’t recommend it.

I’m quietly hopeful that something mildly interesting might happen after the end of episode 9.
Main highlight so far has been the reveal scene of episode 6. The tape dying was a nice touch.

EP6 Spoiler
I watched the first episode of School-Live! It was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cutesy through all but that last part. Probably won't ever bother to finish the series.

I myself am currently watching Dream Eater Merry. Watched 4 episodes so far, and while it's kinda interesting so far it's also nothing super special. Plot's starting to pick up more, though, so hopefully something worthwhile happens soon.

*edit* went ahead and clicked on your ep6 spoiler......and maybe it's just because I don't have the context, but nothing about that seemed spoilerific. Too much of a generic line that can be used in far too many situations to really pinpoint what it's supposed to be spoiling.
[Image: fF2P9lJ.jpg]
I'm currently watching One Punch Man, and it's awesome.
Currently watching Kaichou wa Maid Sama.
fun series. especially after watching way too many serious animes beforehand
[Image: 2r468eu.gif]
@pzykosiz – How’d you discover Maid-Sama!? Might it have been through boredom, like me?

I watched a handful of eps but the overall fluffy nature of the show lead me to drop it. Nothing wrong with a little, harmless, school… uh… comedy now and then, but sometimes one wants more conflict in their toons.

Finished School-Live!

The first episode turned out to be a very telling template for the rest of the show: 90% of cutesy crap with 10% of something promising tacked on at the end. Sadly- that promise was never realised.
This show sucks. Avoid it.

@DarkMessenger – I guess the image is more of a context sort of spoiler. Anyway, that moment was the sole highlight of the show. Hope you enjoyed it.

Following Law’s praise I picked up One Punch Man and immediately got a clip idea out of it. This thread has already paid for itself. Hooray.

A bored, bald Superman emerges after a snobbish version of the Justice League has been long established? Works for me.
It’s easy to see why so many people both gush over and snub this show- it’s got some really nice action and animation going for it, but its thin on the story and not particularly engaging.
It’s got a good first episode, you’ll know everything you need to know about the show’s humour and general tone in 20 minutes, so watch it.

Currently watching Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation.

I hate to perpetuate the stereotype that all Brits enjoy a good (murder) mystery… but there’s no denying that I do.
It’s a slow paced, quiet show and I find myself getting kind of drowsy before an episode ends; but the animation is nice and I like seeing attractive, intelligent women out of their teens taking the spotlight for a change.
There’s a stock sequence wherein the titular Sakurako snaps on a pair of gloves, surrounded by CG animal skeletons before solving a mystery. It’s kind of silly and dumb.
Wouldn’t recommend this one just yet.
If you're going to edit your clip- please post the update in the original submission thread.
Upon suggestions to "just read the significantly more awesome manga" and upon getting bored with it, I've dropped Dream Eater Merry. Story was changed anyway, from what the others told me.

Picked up One Punch Man since everyone seems to love it so much.....and I don't get it. Why is this supposed to be so awesome? What am I missing here? I've watched all but the latest episode available up to this point, and so far it's just another "run-of-the-mill, but still good" comedy anime. I'm enjoying it, yes, but it's not top-of-the-line enjoyment.
(11-18-2015, 08:41 AM)SilentChaz Wrote:  @pzykosiz – How’d you discover Maid-Sama!? Might it have been through boredom, like me?

I watched a handful of eps but the overall fluffy nature of the show lead me to drop it. Nothing wrong with a little, harmless, school… uh… comedy now and then, but sometimes one wants more conflict in their toons.

i'd seen a couple of abridged parodies, so i had a look at the real one.
as i said, i'd been watching some pretty serious/dark animes for a while (Death Parade, Hellsing Ultimate, Baccano, Neon Genesis etc), so i tried something a bit different. I tried starting Rosario + Vampire and Monster Musume, and after 1 episode, I wasn't really hooked on them

Started watching Akuma no Riddle now, 2 episodes in, it's not bad
(11-21-2015, 01:10 AM)pzykosiz Wrote:  abridged parodies
A parody of a comedy. Kids these days…

Making my way through the second season of Mushi-Shi.
It’s almost hilarious how samey this show is from start to finish. Same environments, same unremarkable character designs, same atmosphere… it would be bad if it wasn’t so good.

Ep 13 (Lingering Crimson) was wonderfully tragic.
The most memorable episode however is still the second (The Light of the Eyelid). That eye goo.
If you're going to edit your clip- please post the update in the original submission thread.
(12-02-2015, 08:15 AM)SilentChaz Wrote:  It’s almost hilarious how samey this show is from start to finish. Same environments, same unremarkable character designs, same atmosphere… it would be bad if it wasn’t so good.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Although a lot of companies will use that excuse even when it is broke....*cough*EA*cough*

on topic: picked up Seraph of the End a bit ago. So far it's....interesting. Not super great, but enjoyable enough to keep watching.
(12-02-2015, 08:15 AM)SilentChaz Wrote:  
(11-21-2015, 01:10 AM)pzykosiz Wrote:  abridged parodies
A parody of a comedy. Kids these days…

ahem.

abridge
verb
1. shorten (a book, film, speech, etc.) without losing the sense.

the abridger's seem to have hijacked that term
Finished Working!!/Wagnaria!!. Not much to this third and final season, the laughs were lacking but at least the character relationships were brought to a happy close and all other loose ends tied. Not a bad ending at all, even if the last episode itself was kind of silly.
The second season is easily the best for comedy.

Hakone-Chan. Let’s turn hot springs into little girls, why not?
Very silly but harmless show. Lots of spraying-water-out-of-mouth going on in this.

Finished One Punch Man. This show is money. I want more. I will be very surprised if there won’t be any more.
(01-05-2016, 07:54 AM)SilentChaz Wrote:  Finished Working!!/Wagnaria!!. Not much to this third and final season, the laughs were lacking but at least the character relationships were brought to a happy close and all other loose ends tied. Not a bad ending at all, even if the last episode itself was kind of silly.
The second season is easily the best for comedy.

Maybe I'll just skip to the second season, then....

Does the first season get better after the first couple episodes? (just barely started it today)

Also, can you tell me what about One Punch Man appeals to you so much? I'm legit curious since I just can't get so much into it myself. Not saying I hate the show by any means, just that it seems pretty average to me. Is it just the style of humor that's more to your taste, or is there more to it than that?
(01-05-2016, 08:27 AM)Thedarkmessenger Wrote:  Does the first season get better after the first couple episodes?

Season two of Working!! was actually the first one I watched, and I enjoyed it plenty by itself. (It was available through crunchyroll here in the UK, although oddly- the first season wasn’t.)
Season one didn’t strike me as anything special when I got around to watching it, I might not have even finished it if I didn’t already love all the characters.

The most significant episodes of season one in terms of… um… “plot”, I guess… are episodes 7 and 9.
7 introduces obnoxious (but lovable) brat Aoi Yamada, but more importantly builds a little on the Yachiyo x Sato pairing.
9 marks a significant event for Inami x Takanashi.

Watch these two and the rest is safely skippable, to be watched on a later date should you fancy it.

(01-05-2016, 08:27 AM)Thedarkmessenger Wrote:  Is it just the style of humor that's more to your taste, or is there more to it than that?

<shrug> Probably a simple case of “your mileage may vary”, as is often the case with comedic shows.
There’s something about Saitama’s bland, featureless character design and crappy, reminds-me-of-a-baby’s-clothes costume that tickles me.
I suppose the show came out at just the right time, what with Hollywood’s obsession with super heroes these days. It’s interesting seeing a Japanese take on the phenomenon.

Even without appreciating the comedy, the action sequences are nice to look at, if nothing else. Episode 5’s fight between Saitama and Genos being the main highlight.
Finished Akuma no Riddle a while back. Really good series

Also just about finished Cowboy Bebop. Even though I basically know how it ends anyway, it is a lot of fun

Probably gonna start Fairy Tail next
My Monster Secret/ Actually, I am / Jitsu wa Watashi wa

Main character has the hots for a green-head who he accidently discovers is a vampire; it’s a secret, so he promises not to tell anyone.
What follows are whacky hijinks as he tries to keep the secret safe, whilst also trying to get closer to the girl. Laughs and lovey-doveys all around… well, not really.

Watching this, you get the impression that the writer had absolutely no ideas besides sticking a bunch of characters into a shared setting and hoping something would eventually click.

There’s an alien, who doesn’t do much; there’s a mischievous devil, who also doesn’t do much besides mildly annoy people; there’s a nosey reporter- which you think would make a good adversary, considering keeping secrets is the central premise of the story- but she has her one episode of causing a minor stir, then effectively fades into a cameo role. Oh, she also has a talking pair of glasses… whatever.

Keeping the vampire’s secret is no struggle. For example- she has wings, but they’re completely retractable, and can’t even be seen when she wears a swimsuit. Even the main character- who was painted as a “leaky basket” who cannot keep a secret- turns out to be a very good secret-keeper after all… from start to finish. 

It’s a harmless show with maybe one or two funny moments, but still a very, very average high-school rom-com with precious little conflict.
Wouldn’t recommend it.

Garakowa -Restore the World-

Really don’t know what to make of this one. To start with- the main characters are computer programs, so you’re already asking- “Why should I care about these characters? They aren’t even people.” The answer to this question… I’m not sure.

As anti-virus programs, they eradicate nasty black clouds representing viruses, so there’s a bit of magical girl action going on at the start and end; although not a lot, and visually- it’s not much better than anything you’ve seen in shows like Yuki Yuna is a Hero; which is disappointing for a movie.

At 66 minutes, this certainly isn’t a huge investment of your time. The middle 20 minutes or so with Remo just hanging out, getting to know the other two girls/programs was calm, pleasant viewing. No complaints there. It’s the ending- when things turn abstract the film falls apart.
In short- when it ended, I didn’t know who did what, why or how. Or why I should have cared.

You’re not missing much by skipping this one.

Sekko Boys

Talking sculptures become pop idols. At 7 minutes per episode it gets its gags in and leaves before overstaying its welcome. I like it. The show itself is amusing, but the comment section of crunchyroll- full of hideous puns- is what I look forward to seeing the most.

[Image: 4MLgQAL.jpg]

Ojisan and Marshmallow

An obese chap likes marshmallows, and his attractive co-worker has the hots for him, because of… reasons, I suppose.
Another short show, harmless fun so far.